Tuesday, December 29, 2020

What's next for The Dark Order?

What's next for The Dark Order?

 I did a youtube video on this topic here:


The leader of the Dark Order, Brodie Lee, passed away this weekend. Now AEW's heel stable is stuck at a crossroad. This is an unusual situation. 30-40 years ago, if the leader of a heel stable passed away, the fans would have cheered it. Really. Now, it's the opposite.  

AEW has a few options here.

They could turn them face, which seems like the most likely outcome at this point. But, I just don't see a longterm future in it. I don't know who they would fight except for The Inner Circle and I don't know why The Inner Circle would fight them. And trying to keep the whole thing in good taste is an additional hurdle. But after that happens, where would they go? Would they just keep being faces? I don't think that would work. They'd have to go back heel eventually, making all of this a waste of time.

They could keep The Dark Order heel. In a more gutsy promotion, they might make them more into a cult that went nuts without their beloved leader. Maybe they would carry around Brody flags and try to take over the company in a more serious way. But that would likely come off as being in bad taste and won't happen.

They could also keep them heel, but have the group dissolve into chaos. People like Silver or Reynolds wouldn't know what to do without Lee. The group would lose matches, turn on each other and so forth until Adam Page whips them all into line and they either continue on as before with Page as the leader or maybe turn into a different group. The main problem with this idea is that I suspect the fans are going to cheer The Order for a while which would make this hard to pull off. This idea might also risk offending some people if done improperly.

The last idea would be to dissolve the stable. I personally never liked the stable. I don't think it has really done anything for anybody and has wasted a lot of valuable TV time. I don't think AEW would be any worse off without it, though in the short-term, it would screw up a lot of wrestlers booking plans. Since I don't like the direction of the group though, I don't think it would be a big loss.

My guess is that the stable gets turned face somehow since AEW seems to love this group, though what happens from there is anyone's guess.

No comments :

Post a Comment