Friday, February 22, 2013

WWE Friday Night Smackdown 2/22/2013 Review

WWE Friday Night Smackdown 2/22/2013 Review

Last week's show is here: http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/wwe-friday-night-smackdown-2152013.html

Alberto Del Rio came out with Ricardo:
ADR cut a promo on Swagger talking about how he isn't an illegal immigrant and stuff. There was some really bad piped in crowd noise during this. Randy Orton then came out for no real reason.
Orton says his title shot was taken by Jack Swagger at the Chamber. Well I mean, that's kind of how it works. Orton asked ADR to step aside tonight so he can get Swagger. You know who came out after this.
Booker T said he wanted to do Wade Barrett vs Alberto Del Rio and Randy Orton vs Jack Swagger instead tonight. Hey, atleast he had a plan.

We got a new Fandango package:
He just said his name after dancing with a girl.

Sheamus vs Damien Sandow
This is their fifth match since August. Damien Sandow is 0-4-1 against Sheamus, which is legit a better record that I expected. Sandow has the Shield to thank for the 1 as they ran in and it was a no contest. All time, Sandow is 0-7-1 against Sheamus.
Sandow called Sheamus a false idol and said he would destroy him tonight. He said Sheamus' reign of terror would come to an end.
 
Sheamus won with the Brogue Kick. Decent match here. Sandow looked credible and got a ton of offense in. I loved his crossfaces and I almost believed he could take it for a second. There was some nice length on this too and it is worth a look. Rating:***

They hyped up the matches for the night and JBL incorrectly said Wade vs ADR was title vs title.

Kaitlyn and Layla vs Aksana and Tamina Snuka
Kaitlyn and Layla have teamed up 19 times in various trios and tag matches. However as a tag team they are 2-9 on TV and house shows. Tamina and Aksana are 0-6 as a team.

"You know, I don't care what other people say. I like your mustache." - Kaitlyn
"Ya know, some ladies are calling it a lovestache." - Cody Rhodes
The interaction above was purposely akward.
Kaitlyn beat Tamina Snuka with a spear. Quick match here with Tamina looking rather weak as she lost easy. Hard to believe they gave up on Tamina already.

Zeb Coulter was hyping up Swagger backstage before Wade walked in:
"Excuse me Mr. Beard. You don't talk like me, where are you from?" - Zeb
"I'm from England." - Wade
"Well, then you're the same as Alberto Del Rio. You're part of the problem. You're stealing a job from an American." - Zeb Coulter
This about describes my feeling on that segment.

Randy Orton vs Jack Swagger
Orton is 7-2 against Swagger all-time.
"Zeb Coulter reminds me of a Farmer Burns, who took Gotch and made him a world champion." - JBL
Swagger wins?
Jack Swagger got the win with a poke in the eyes followed by stunning Orton's throat across the ropes. He then hit a roll-up and had his leg on the rope. Big upset here. This was a Randy Orton match. It might be okay but rarely is it going to be special or interesting. It was a little too controlled by Orton for my tastes as I would have rather seen Swagger work the ankle more and have a match based around that.

The Miz vs Cody Rhodes
Cody Rhodes did an inset promo wondering why people cared about his mustache. He then said it is a lovestache.
Miz got the win with the Figure Four in a short match. I don't have any thoughts on it except that it was there.

Champion vs Champion - Alberto Del Rio vs Wade Barrett
Jack Swagger then came out.
Alberto got the win with the armbar. The match was just okay with nothing really standing out. Swagger tried to interrupt ADR near the end but ADR recovered from a surprise roll-up to take it. The only note here is that Wade Barrett's Black Hole Slam is now the Winds of Change. The focus was mainly on ADR and Swagger.

Overall thoughts: The show wasn't bad but the commentary seriously was. I'd rather take a Tom Phillips and Tony Dawson nightmare team over them as atleast they wouldn't argue like little children. JBL argued over anything Josh said and I have no idea why he puts up with it. Not that Josh was good either but atleast he's not so brash. As for the matches, they were decent. The Sheamus match was the best thing on the show and the diva's match had its moments. The show was missing tons of people though like Big Show, Mark Henry and Team Hell No, among others.

3 comments :

  1. Just want to say thanks for the blog. I'm mostly here for the Japanese stuff, especially Joshi, which I've recently fallen in love with, but I no longer have cable so I'm glad to read about the American stuff, as well. Anyway, thanks for the effort, it's appreciated.

    -poko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it! I have a bunch of japanese matches I'd like to do along with well everything else, so hopefully I can get more up for you.

      Joshi rules! There's nothing quite like high level joshi! I just wish more aired that I could review.

      Delete