Monday, April 8, 2019

2019 Post-Wrestlemania Weekend State of Wrestling Address

2019 Post-Wrestlemania Weekend State of Wrestling Address

Wrestling has changed with massive changes in the last 2-3 years or so. The things we saw this week would have been unforeseeable to a Territory Era fan and an Attitude Era fan. I think it mirrors a lot of what has been going on in the real world and just like wrestling, the real world is filled with bookers and talent.

Some of the stuff I saw this week was so far gone from wrestling that I'm not even sure it is wrestling anymore. We saw matches without traditional rings. We saw matches without human wrestlers. We even saw non-wrestling things happen in wrestling rings. We saw girls wrestle guys. We saw midgets wrestle normal sized people and we saw blow-up dolls wrestle.

I can only imagine what the people who thought I was completely retarded for watching wrestling back then would think of the people who are watching some of this stuff now. But the one difference now is that I would probably agree with them.

I don't like this new version of wrestling. I don't support it and no one I know seems to either. But its clear there's people who do, and that they are a more appealing audience to promoters than people like me. And these people are going to have to carry wrestling into the future.

I don't know what the future holds for wrestling, but it doesn't seem like anything I want to be apart of. Anything seems like a possibility when we are having invisible people, blow-up dolls and Joey Ryan around. Cats or Dogs wrestling? Sure why not. Elementary school children? Doesn't seem farfetched. Matches between inanimate objects? Its possible it becomes a regular thing. The one thing I am sure of though is that this is going to attract a smaller and smaller group of fans which may threaten the existence of wrestling period. But if this is what wrestling will turn into, there's nothing to lose by wrestling going away.

No comments :

Post a Comment