Monday, December 25, 2023

Thoughts on The Iron Claw movie

 I ended up seeing this one somewhat unwillingly. Here's what I thought:

- The story is sad. There's no way around it. You can try to give it a happy ending and stuff, but there's no positive way out of it. It's a horrible tragedy and a story nobody would want to live through.

- Chris Von Erich should have been in it. He was part of the family and actually did wrestle. The worst part about him not being in the movie was that it mirrored how his life went. He couldn't compare with his brothers and that was part of the reason he committed suicide. The movie didn't even think he was worth talking about here. It was an insult to injury. I know they had limited time and such, but they could have come up with a way to get him in.

-  I didn't think the second half of the story was paced well. They sped through the declines of Mike and especially Kerry. Chris couldn't even get in it. They ran out of time to show the part about Chris Von Erich. The also didn't get to show Kevin's sons becoming wrestlers which would have been a happy way to end it. They didn't show Fritz and his wife divorcing, though they kind of hinted at it and they didn't cover Fritz dying. We also didn't get much on The Freebirds or some of the other Von Erich rivals.

- I thought the actor who played Kevin should have played Kerry. I thought Kerry was too small.

- The actor portraying Ric Flair didn't do a good job. Everyone's done a Flair impersonation at some point and he looked no different than some random person doing it.

- They did a great job with Fritz. If anything, they were harder on him than I expected. He looked like him and they pulled no punches.

- The actor playing David really looked and acted like him. I thought they did a great job with David.

- They told the story of Mike Von Erich well and went way beyond expectations with it.

- The scene with Kerry reuniting with his brothers in the afterlife was very heartwarming and one way to put things in a positive light.

- I thought they did a good job with the Fritz and Kevin scene after Kerry's death and kind of showed Fritz's role in the whole deal.

Overall, it was a weird movie to see. I'm a huge Von Erich's fan. It's odd to see actors playing them. I can't say I enjoyed it due to all of the bad things that happened and I don't really know if shining the spotlight on their downfall was the right thing to do.

2 comments :

  1. Some of my earliest memories of wrestling were of watching WCCW on ESPN. I do want to see this, but at the same time I don't, only because I'm very familiar with the story and know how it's going to play out. And one some level, I can understand why they ommitted Chris, but (and this is something that I've heard come directly from Kevin) his story is possibly the most tragic one of the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way.

      - ProWresBlog

      Delete