Thursday, October 25, 2018

Thoughts on WWE Crown Jewel and Roman Reigns' Leukemia

I wanted to talk about these two things today.

I'm sure you know this, but WWE is running WWE Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia. They are getting paid big bucks by the Saudi government to run there to make Saudi Arabia seem more legitimate.
If you also hadn't heard, Saudi Arabia also killed a journalist recently named Jamal Khashoggi, who may or may not have had some American government backing and a questionable history.

We all know what Saudi Arabia is like. We know who is the boss and we know what can happen if you break their rules. This isn't new information.

I'm not really surprised by what happened. Saudi Arabia is one of the last places I would go do journalism work in next to North Korea, other Middle Eastern countries, China and Africa. Why everyone else is so surprised by this is beyond me. This isn't news and Saudi Arabia does this stuff to its enemies everyday.

What is news though is WWE getting patsy'd for doing a show there. There's many companies that do business there and in other questionable places and no one has asked them to stop. There's also a whole list of countries that do questionable things that no one is trying to organize any boycotts over. America may even be one of those countries.

What people need to realize is that WWE is a business and businesses exist solely to make money. Businesses are not your friends and they are not your family. Their lights don't stay on due to good PR or 5 star matches, they stay on with cash. Hopefully this is a reminder to large portions of the population that this will always be the case.

I don't blame WWE for taking the cash. Any good businessman would. I also don't think WWE should be patsy'd here when there's a million other examples of similar things happening and no one caring.

I personally can't wait until this event is over. I'm tired of hearing about it and I'm tired of various non-political media becoming politicized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, I'd like to discuss Roman Reigns being re-diagnosed with Leukemia.

I don't particularly like Roman as a wrestler. He's a more generic version of John Cena and compared to Cena, Cena looks like an all-time great. He doesn't have much fire, nothing he says ever feels genuine and his matches are just standard WWE fare. As a person, I only know him through what he has said in public interviews, and that person has been a lot like the one that has been on TV all these years. He has blamed the fans for his shortcomings and has done little to fan the flames that people have thrown at him.

With that being said, I obviously don't wish leukemia on him, but I'm not going to miss him and I'm one of the few who has enough guts to say that. I wish him the best and hope he recovers, but I really hope he finds a passion for something else as he recovers.

The IWC however, has not been so honest. I've seen hundreds of posts from people wanting him to go away for years and now that he finally will be going away, these same people are pretending to be his biggest fans. This is dishonest and I know if he turns out to be okay soon, these same people would go back to hating him again.

I'm interested to see where WWE goes from here. They've spent the last 5 years on this guy and they've hurt the careers of people like The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, Dean Ambrose and Braun Strowman to get him over. To me, the obvious answer would be to push Braun Strowman to the moon. He is every promoter's dream and he's a rare mix of being a Vince favorite and a fan favorite. He may not be the greatest worker, but neither were most of the top draws in wrestling, which shows you how little that means. I hope WWE doesn't go with someone like Drew McIntyre to take his place like rumors have stated. Drew is not only not that interesting of a worker, but he's even less interesting of a worker. I also do not want to see Seth Rollins take the ace role as while he is a decent worker and a good face, he just doesn't have enough character or promo skills to carry the company.

We will have to wait and see what the future holds, but one thing is for sure - WWE is going to be looking a lot different without Roman Reigns and for the first time in over a decade, the IWC does not have someone they hate being pushed down their throats.

No comments :

Post a Comment