Wednesday, May 8, 2013

WWE Saturday Morning Slam Cancelled?

WWE Saturday Morning Slam Cancelled?

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter is reporting that Saturday Morning Slam has not had any matches taped for it in two weeks and that the channel that it is on, The CW, may be seeing Saturday Morning Slam as a show with a "season" style format, meaning that it has a premiere and a finale.

My thoughts:
I'm a little sad to hear this news. Is Saturday Morning Slam the best WWE show? No. Is it flawless? No. Does it have any importance in the grand scheme of things? Not really. Is it entertaining? You bet.

SMS, while being a show geared towards kids, has a lot of things that I like about it. The first thing is the length of the show, which is only 30 minutes. It's basically 1/6 to 1/7 the length of a weekly Raw. This means more wrestling and less crap. While the show does cutaway from many many moves and can be annoying about it, there still has been a lot of good stuff from the show. We've gotten many good midcard matches and due to head shots not being allowed, we sometimes see different style matches than we would see elsewhere like the infamous Daniel Bryan vs Tyson Kidd World of Sport Comedy match.

Saturday Morning Slam isn't an all-time great show or a classic show, but it usually is fun and at times can be very good. At worst, it's two matches that don't total 20 minutes which makes it not much of a risk in terms of viewing.

Hopefully the WWE and The CW can keep Saturday Morning Slam alive as I enjoy it a lot. It is the last reminder that a lot of have of old school Saturday morning wrestling and I would be disappointed if it is gone.

8/24/2013 UPDATE - Saturday Morning Slam will be renewed for another season. Mick Foley confirmed this on his twitter. I was told that tapings will be done in September and it will air in October. Hang tight fellow SMS fans!

6 comments :

  1. I agree. Fun show. I'm 3 weeks behind now but always make sure I see 'em all. Also, dig the blog, man, you put a lot of work in and it's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you have missed much the last three weeks but I'm kind of going off memory. Thanks Brian for your good words, I appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. very upset that show has apparently been cancelled, it has not been on for a couple weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I am going through some serious SMS withdrawal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 2nd season return in the fall but I think it is unlikely.

      Delete
  3. love the show perfect for my boys 6 and 8, even more now than ever after the messages sent on Monday night raw....try your best work hard and it still won't matter if you don't look right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for SMS to come back on. I used to watch wrestling on Saturdays as a child. I like that the stars inform kids how to stay safe and that being a bully is not a good thing to be.

    ReplyDelete