Sunday, December 30, 2012

UFC 155 Review

UFC 155 Review

"I knocked him out in the first fight and I'm gonna knock him out again." - Junior Dos Santos
Jon Anik is subbing for Mike Goldberg tonight


Middleweight Fight - Chris Leben vs Derek Brunson

"When you see Chris Leben fight, expect fireworks." - Leben

Round 1: 10-9 Brunson. This was all Brunson on top with Leben trying to hook on a triangle. Little happened here and neither guy got any real shots in. Lots of laying and Leben being grounded.
"He just wants to hold you down." - Leben's trainer
"That's not an effective way to stop a guys takedown." - Rogan

Round 2:  10-9 Brunson. Both guys gassed here. Brunson got a takedown early and hit more punches with Leben just getting a slow uppercut. Some of the slowest punches you've ever seen here.

"Deep breaths. Calm it down." - Trainer

Round 3: 10-9 Brunson. Brunson hit another takedown. Leben hit some punches near the end but ate another takedown which probably got him it. Bad fight with slow motion fighting.

29-28 Unanimous Decision for Derek Brunson, who is now 10-2. I did go 30-27, but 29-28 is okay too because Leben had a case in the last round. Brunson screamed after the fight ended.

Highlights:


Middleweight Fight - Alan Belcher vs Yushin Okami
Okami won in their first fight at UFC 62. Belcher has won 6 of the last 7.
"Wherever it goes, I'm gonna beat him." - Belcher
Round 1: 10-9 Okami. He kind of got a knockdown and held him down the whole round.

"Positive energy wins rounds." - Trainer
"He's just smothering Alan Blecher." - Rogan

Round 2: 10-9 for Okami, maybe could even be 10-8. Okami held him down the whole time and minus a punch on a restart, Belcher had nothing. He got owned.

"Put the hands on him." - Trainer
"Bring him down, be more active." - Trainer

Round 3: 10-9 Okami. Belcher had control early then got ridden the rest of the round and smothered. Belcher almost had a guillotine but no dice.

30-27, 30-27, 29-28 for Okami. Should be all 30-27 though.

Highlights:

Middleweight Fight - Tim Boestch vs Costa Philippou
"My goal is to beat everyone I fight. My goal is to finish everyone I fight." - Boetsch
" I missed christmas with my family because I had to be in training camp and I'm not real happy about that. I plan on knocking out Costa for it." - Boetsch
"I think my speed and my footwork will be the key to this fight." - Costa

Round 1: 10-9 Boetsch. He got a takedown and a nice shot in to take this. He was also very aggressive. Nice shots from Costa at the end of the round. Boetsch may have broken his hand.
Eye Poke

Round 2:  10-9 for Costa. Tim now has a cut, a poked eye and a hurt body part. He was just hanging on here because what else could he do?

"You wanna stop?" - Matt Hughes
"F*** no" - Tim Boetsch

Round 3: The ref stopped the fight as Tim was finished during a ground and pound. The injuries and blood was just too much and he looked dead out there.

Not a good fight here with a bad ending.

Lightweight Fight - Joe Lauzon vs Jim Miller
"I know I can sub out any guy on the planet." - Miller

Round 1: 10-9 Miller. Miller beat the crap out of him in the beginning with tons of shots and it almost got stopped. They did a cut check on Joe and Joe ended up fighting back some before getting another attack on him. There was a standing O for this.
"He's basically donating blood right now. He's donating for three people." - Rogan on Lauzon

Round 2: 10-9 Miller. Miller was mostly in control here and Lauzon didn't get much in. This got delayed for tape hanging from Joe's glove.

Round 3: 10-9 Lauzon. Both guys got tired here and were shot. It was still good though and there were lots of uncontested shots.

Close fight, but I have to give it to Miller. Judges were 29-28 for Jim Miller. Obviously, that's what I had it at, but I can see some controversy as Lauzon may have had the second round for some. The crowd and announcers loved this and I enjoyed this, but not as much. Still good though.

Highlights:

UFC Heavyweight Title - Junior Dos Santos vs Cain Velasquez
"I'm hungry and I want the belt back." - Cain

Round 1: 10-8 Cain. Junior took a serious whooping here. Cain was scary good here. Like a machine. He hit so many shots. Junior barely survived this and this could have been stopped.

Round 2: 10-9 Cain. Junior got owned again. Not looking good here.

Round 3: 10-9 Cain. Not too much happened here with both guys being out of it.

Round 4: 10-9 Cain. Junior looked better here but he had nothing for Cain. Only a lucky shot is going to get him the W now.

Round 5: 10-9 Cain. Junior had nothing and Cain tried to finish him. Junior even took a high kick here.

I have this at 50-44 for Cain. 50-45, 50-44, 50-43 for Cain. First round was awesome and the rest was just prolonging the beating for JDS.

Junior got booed after and he asked the crowd why. "Why are you doing this to me?" he said. Cain said the title was a gift for his wife and he will continue to improve. Junior said he would come back and take his belt again.
Overall thoughts: 2 fights were good and 3 weren't. The two last matches delivered though.

No comments :

Post a Comment